Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:40:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Troy Settle <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        Graeme Tait <U@webcom.com>
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to share accounts between mail/pop and web servers?

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Graeme Tait wrote:

> Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
>
> > It's better to break out services to various servers, so that only
> > one service may be down for the customer.  If it's fixed quickly, they
> > usually don't mind, but when "everything" is down for them.
>

> I can see it cutting both ways. If you had say 5 boxes in my model
> and one went down, 20% of users are affected. If all there email was
> on one box in the alternate model, 100% of email is down.
>
> The model I suggested seems to be that successfully used by pair.com
> (running FreeBSD, of course).

I think we got into an "Apples vs. Oranges" discussion here.

For a web hosting setup, splitting users is clearly an optimal choice.

For an ISP, however, splitting services offers greater reliability and
easier management.  I, for one, would love to have a centralized
authentication server.

--
  Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
  Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services