Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2000 22:54:33 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        webmaster@wmptl.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP vs CNAME

On Fri, 02 Jun 2000 21:27:27 -0700  Doug Barton wrote:
 +------------------
 | Nathan Vidican wrote:
 | >
 | > We are a relatively small ISP looking to grow. We're now starting to do
 | > virtualhosting for people, and thus far I've been setting up
 | > virtualhosts using cnames.
 |
 | 	Why are you using CNAME's? You are needlessly doubling the traffic to
 | your nameservers for every lookup. It's much better to define each host
 | as an A record that points to the IP address of your vhost'ing server.
 +------------------

This is obviously incorrect.  A DNS response has plenty of room in
it for multiple records. The response to a cname query contains
the CNAME, potentially many A records and several authority records.
The local name server is expected to cache these records to allow it to
short circuit future requests for related data.

My current thinking on this issue is that it is better to use a
CNAME record for name based virtual hosts since it preserves the
validity of name matching between A and PTR records.

chris

--
    Chris Fedde
    303 773 9134