Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:29:31 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a) libgcrypt b) perl

Am 20.07.2011 04:45, schrieb Doug Barton:
> On 07/19/2011 17:04, jsb.__@speakeasy.net wrote:
>>

>> Apologies for two subjects.
>
> Don't apologize, just don't do it. :)
>
>> Disheartened by the perl 5.12.3 5.12.4 bump; I've figured how to upgrade
>> (for some reason perl-after-upgrade does little on these machines), but
>> the time to do so seems excessive.
>> perl5/5.12.3
>> perl5/site_perl/5.12.3
>> in the past have had files remaining after upgrade.
>
> I can't speak intelligently about perl-after-upgrade since I've never
> used it, but what I usually do to upgrade perl is:
>
> portmaster perl
> portmaster p5-
>
> Then go into /usr/local/lib/perl5 and check the old directories, as you
> describe below. If there are files there then I upgrade the ports that
> installed them. Once that's done, I delete the old directories.

I've written a Perl script (without dependencies on other ports) that
can help with efficiently digging up a list of ports that installed
files into particular directory, install it from ports-mgmt/pkgs_which
and pass it the /usr/local/lib/perl5*.../5.12.3/ directory name, it'll
give you a complete list of all packages that have installed files into
that directory, and optionally a list of files not registered in the
database.

> Theoretically it would not be hard to write a script that does the same
> thing.

That's why it's mostly done.  Last time I updated Perl,
perl-after-upgrade left me with a rather incomplete update.  I didn't
have interest to debug it though and just used pkgs_which to dig up the
list of packages and used portmaster to reinstall them.  After that, the
old-perl-version-directory didn't contain any relevant files so I could
delete it.

I wish that this could be automated by the various language install
scripts (possibly via bsd.port.mk or a sibling thereof), but given
current time constraints, I cannot do that myself.