Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 08:41:03 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A tricky PPP + Routing question

Hi chaps, in the interests of mailing one answer, everyone being on the list,
I'm only mailing this to the list... Thanks for all the hlepfull comments by
the way.

Everything becomes clear now as well. I don't see anything specifically related
to this in the Nutshell books, but found an example in a Stallion Easy
Communications Server - a type of serial router.
Basically what Telstra are asking works. Although they are only insisting so
that their fault tracing is easier. I can undestand that I guess... If only we
had networks without users life would be easier. I also studied the Ascend
docs. It has examples there as well. If you can translate them.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that the example below will/does work.
However, just as an aside, I have my ppp link configured with it's own address.
It's still one of my numbers, but it is not the same number as the frbsd box.
The ethernet interface in the box is 5, the ppp 'interface' that talks to
everything else is 1. I called it 'gateway' in the DNS tables, and I note with
interest that often mail that bounces will be returned via
gateway.chalmers.com.au. Nothing seems to refuse  it though, same domain after
all.
The box is a gateway with ip forwarding
So logically, I suppose Telstra's method works. It just comes down to being
irked because I would have one of their addresses polluting my side of the
network connection :-) not to mention being told that that's how it will be -
like it or lump it. Does this come under the heading SAPS in the dictionary?
(System Administrator Personality Syndrome)

Interesting discussion I think. Thanks also to to the couple of people who are
running their networks according to the Telstra decreed method. Seemingly
without problem. Although they didnt' say I don't think, if they also ran their
own IP liscence set, or used only the telstra assigned number(s)

cheers
Robert

--
http://www.chalmers.com.au. Publications From China in 24 different languages.
English, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, Burmese, Bengali,