Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:33:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   installworld : problem 1 (softupdates)

Hello!

I've been  experiencing this  problem wih installworld  for a  while. My
/-partition is rather small

	Filesystem   1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
	/dev/da0s1a      31743    22828     6376    78%    /

It  is using  soft-updates and  installworld dies  with "no  space left"
trying to  install things there. AFAIK,  this is a generic  problem with
soft-updates. It would appear  to me as a bug, but I  hesitate to file a
PR because this  is a known problem,  yet not addressed. The  only way I
can have installworld finish is to run (in another window; I use tcsh):

	mi@guest:/usr/src (1019) while ( 1 )
	while? if ( `df / | awk '/^\// {print $4}'` < 2000 ) sync
	while? sleep 1
	while? end

which checks the  available space on / every second  and forces the sync
whenever the amount goes below 2000 Kb.

Yours,

	-mi