Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2016 23:58:21 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Olaoluwa Omokanwaiye <laoluomoks@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple Desktop FreeBSD 10.3

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 11:27:54 +0100, Olaoluwa Omokanwaiye wrote:
> Hi,
> Anyone with working steps (not just from the handbook) on how to set
> multiple desktops on FreeBSD 10.3
> I have installed Mate and Lumina but find it difficult to manage these
> desktops or select. Also Slim manager is proving stubborn.
>
> Any experienced assist is welcome.

I have been using the display manager "wdm" (usually to be used
in combination with the WindowMaker window manager) to be versatile
enough to select different desktops for _one_ user interactively.

It's also possible to configure _multople_ users with a specific
desktop each, controlled by any display manager you want (from
xdm to kdm; except gdm because this ignores .xsession and .xinitrc,
which can become quite problematic). I have such a setup on my
work machine where I login via xdm, and the user accounts separate
functionality, permissions, startup programs, window management
and desktops depending on _what_ I want to work on (multimedia,
Android development, generic programming, pentesting, web browing,
all of them present a user interface corresponding to the tasks
at hand, configured specifically for my individual needs and
preferences).

Everything you need is well documented in The FreeBSD Handbook
and the FAQ. Also consider checking the documentation of the
involved parts (desktop environments and display managers) and
the example files they provide.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany