Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:31:27 -0700
From:      Chameleon <swen@wavefire.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Offensive figures (wa: Why?)

At 09:40 AM 6/30/00 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday, 29 June 2000 at  6:19:06 -0400, David A. Medeiros wrote:
> > > Why is a figure offensive in its caricturization used as the logo for
> > > FreeBSD? Thanks!
> >
> > Why, is a figure offensive in its caricturization used as the logo for
> > FreeBSD?  The logo represents a daemon.  What's offensive about that?
>
>         Yes, that's the rationalization for it. But come on. The
> character is a
>visual pun. It's _clearly_ drawn to represent a devil/demon. The high
>minded "It's really a dAemon" business is just a convenient excuse. Why
>else would BSDi be passing out little devil horns at usenix? How would
>you draw a daemon, really?
>
>         Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine if y'all want to have your
> little
>joke. As long as you realize that dogged dedication to it will result in
>limiting the audience for the product. The meta discussion about whether
>that's a good thing, or justified, or an example of the stupidity of the
>general populace is simply not relevant to the sales figure argument. It
>_does_ offend people. If you think that's ok, more power to you.

Actually, all daemons aside... you could then say it comes down to whether
the people want an OS that has a mascot that offends (FreeBSD) or code that
offends (windows). In my opinion... more people will choose the mascot...

And its not like there's not a lot of pictures floating around of Bill
Gales with a pointy tail and horns either... now get real.

Swen

>Doug
>--
>         "Live free or die"
>                 - State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire

Your mouse has moved.
Windows NT must be restarted
for the change to take effect.

Reboot now? [ OK ]