Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 16:47:49 -0500
From:      Andy Sloane <andy@guildsoftware.com>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@talarian.com>
Cc:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new syscons screensaver

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 01:58:06PM -0700, Nick Sayer wrote:
> You might consider trying the apm_saver module instead, especially on
> laptops. I have found instances in the past of monitor/BIOS/video
> combinations where green didn't do the right thing but that the APM got
> right.

Both apm_saver and green_saver are essentially (once you get past all the
screensaver setup code) one-line routines to turn off the display.  I think
it would make sense to both tell the VGA chip to blank (green_saver) and
tell APM to shut down (apm_saver) with proper #ifdeffing around the APM
stuff.

I also think it would make sense to do this inside dev/fb/splash.c (or
perhaps dev/syscons/syscons.c) instead of inside each screensaver, so that
it's automatically handled.  And maybe a new 'vidcontrol' option to set the
blanking delay (as opposed to the screensaver delay) would be necessary.
There may be an even better place to put this, but I am mostly unfamiliar
with the kernel source tree and as such I won't attempt to write a patch
for this yet.

-Andy