Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 22:06:45 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Shawn Foran <shawn@hamnet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing Issue NOT NAT

[Could you end your lines at somewhere about 72 columns? Each of your
paragraphs is all on one line.]]

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 11:25:44AM -0400, Shawn Foran wrote:

[snip]

> I have ran tcpdump on the gateway box, snooping the externel interface while trying to ping, or telnet into the various ip's on the internal subnet. I am seeing several lines with "arp who has xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx tell yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy" xxx being the box I am trying to get to, and strange to me, yyy being the gateway at my isp where all my traffic goes to. I apologize for not having the exact lines, but I am at work currently and cannot get to the dump'ed information.

Where are you doing this pinging to the inside from? From the gateway?
From some remote location? You ISP does know that you set up your
network like this, right? It looks like your ISPs router is expecting
machine xxx to be local, rather than routing to your gateway.

> Just a little more information, I have also tried compiling the kernel with the BRIDGE option and that did not seem to solve anything. My firewall is set to "open" currently, with hopes that once I get this working, I can start adding rules. routed is running (is defaulted to running when I set up the box) with the -q flag.

If your ISP router expects your machines to be local, bridging is more
what you would need. Not sure why it did not work if you flipped all
the sysctl switches right.
--
Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com