Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 97 15:01:05 EDT
From:      C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.1-R installation on an Adaptec 7880-fed SCSI system?

Hi,

[ I'm reposting this, because I didn't see it come back, and can't
find it in the archives. -cmcurtin]

I've got a bit of a problem getting FreeBSD on a new machine here.
We've got a system with two ultrawide SCSI-3 drives hung off of an
Adaptec 7880.  I see that there's a driver available for the board,
but it's not on the 2.2.1-R boot disk.

We can actually newfs the filesystems and get some data copied to the
target disk during the install, but by about 20% or so into the
installation of /bin, the system hangs.  Even doing a minimal install,
with the intention of getting it far enough along to build and install
the right driver, then installing the rest of the system doesn't work.

Is there a way that we can get FreeBSD installed on the system in a
relatively straightforward manner?  I'm trying to avoid having to
spend the time to figure out how to build a boot/install disk for
2.2.1 with the right driver in place.

I do have another 2.2.1 machine on the network, if that would make a
solution any easier.

Any help I can get would obviously be greatly appreciated.

--
Matt Curtin  Chief Scientist Megasoft Online  cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com
http://www.research.megasoft.com/people/cmcurtin/    I speak only for myself