Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:46:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@caladan.tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Victor M. Carranza G." <victor@mp.lex.gob.gt>
Subject:   Re: Preventing stealing of IP address...

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Victor M. Carranza G. wrote:

> Hi!
>
> What can I do to prevent my FreeBSD server's IP address from being
> "stealed" by a misconfigured network client? I mean... when somebody in
> the same network configures her machine with the same address as the
> FreeBSD server, the server losts access to the network until the client
> releases the address!

There used to be a term for this - called "Arp Wars" (as both systems
will send ARP replies - claiming themselves as the owner of the IP) ,
there's not a lot you can do to prevent it... In reality, if the other
machine is a MS machine (i.e. 95/98 etc.) it will back-down and display an
error to the user... It then usally disables it's network stack, the
FreeBSD box will usually recover after the ARP's have timed out... (at
least this is what we've found).

At the end of the day, there is no easy way to prevent this AFAIK.

-Kp