Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:30:35 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Dual Win98 and FreeBSD system

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 17:17:42 -0800 (PST)
William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com> asked:

> I have a 10 gig hard drive and am planning on dual booting Win98 and
> FreeBSD. I
> am planning on soplitting it right down the middle, 5gig each, but what
> I am
> wondering is I remember reading something about FreeBSD needing to be in
> the
> forst 1024 megs or soemthing like that. Is this true?

Discussing this gets confusing because what the MS-DOS/Windows
world calls a "partition", the BSD world calls a "slice", and
the BSD world uses "partition" to mean something roughly
equivalent to an MS-DOS logical partition.

AFAIK, the problem is that the PC BIOS only knows how to boot from
"partitions" (the MS-DOS term) that are in the first 1024 cylinders
(not megabytes).  So the boot portion of FreeBSD needs to be in
the first 1024 cylinders of your drive. Since large drives tend
to have large cylinders, this is often not a problem.

THE FIRST THING TO DO is find out how many cylinders your system
BIOS thinks the hard drive has.  That information will be critical
to figuring out how to do your installation.

Next, try reading
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multi-os/index.html
which will help, although some of the information is out of date.

Note that Windows 95 (at least the earlier versions) has to be on
the FIRST partition of the disk.  That may not be true in
recent versions. And, experience has shown that, if possible,
you want all of your Windows stuff in one partition (C:); it
makes life much simpler.

The root BSD partition does not need to be very large; you can
hang other partitions from it by using appropriate mount points
during the setup, and/or links after installation.  Figuring
out the details of how you want to arrange your various slices
and partitions is a bit challenging if you haven't used FreeBSD
before, because you don't know how big things need to be, but
the install program gives you some suggestions if you need
it to.  Use just one Windows "partition" and one FreeBSD
"slice" if that's possible, it will keep things simple.

With all of this in mind, your general strategy should probably
be something like:

(assume the total size of your drive is smaller than 2048
cylinders, as viewed by your system BIOS)

1) Set up a Windows partition that takes up half your drive, and
   is smaller than 1024 cylinders by at least 35 MB or so.
   Install Windows on this partition.
2) Start the FreeBSD installation.
3) Set up a FreeBSD slice that fits in the remainder of the first
   1024 cylinders.  Set up another FreeBSD slice on the rest
   of the drive.
4) In the first FreeBSD slice, create a FreeBSD partition and
   mount it as / (root).  FreeBSD will boot from this.
5) Create the remainder of your FreeBSD partitions in the other
   slice and finish the installation.
6) After installation, if the root partition isn't big enough,
   learn how to set up links to move stuff from the root
   partition to other, bigger, partitions.

Adjust this procedure depending on how many cylinders are on the
drive.  For example, if the first few gigabytes of FreeBSD will
fit below cyl 1024, you might want to put several partitions
there instead of just one.

I'm assuming that you don't need a swap partition below cyl 1024
to boot FreeBSD.  I could be wrong...

-- Bob