Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 23:09:35 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        current@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
Subject:   ldconfig -m

(Note crossposting -- followups to "ports" only, please)

There is a new option "-m" (for "merge") in -current's ldconfig.  It
will add entries found in specified directories to the hints file.
This work is mostly done by the mighty Paul Kranenburg (thanks!).

Which means we no longer need to know what the user gave to the
previous ldconfig command in order to invoke it safely.  This allows
us to add lines like

post-install:
	ldconfig -m ${PREFIX}/lib

in ports Makefiles and

@exec ldconfig -m %B

in packing lists, and we won't see any more questions like "I
installed Xpm, why can't I run xfig?!?".

Also, this will make batch compiles easier too.  For instance, this
has enabled me to build the mule-canna package, without Canna first
installed, to complete successfully.  Before, I had to watch the
compilation and type "ldconfig /usr/local/lib /usr/X11R6/lib" right
after the Canna installation, or temacs would core dump.

The downside of this is that you can no longer install packages that
include shared libraries without becoming superuser.  Also, people who
grab ports should make sure they get the latest ldconfig too, because
the old ldconfig will barf at the -m option.

But all in all, I should say this is one of the brightest days in
ports history. :)

Satoshi