Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 13:57:07 -0800
From:      Marc Wandschneider <MarcW@Lanfear.com>
To:        "'cjclark@home.com'" <cjclark@home.com>, Marc Wandschneider <MarcW@Lanfear.com>
Cc:        jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org, brett@peloton.runet.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: building gnome

	I actually just compiled it myself and put it in
/usr/local/X11R6.  Of all the things I've been compiling, I've never had
a problem with a program not being able to find X11.

	All the problems have been with my putting all my libs and
packages in /usr/local/lib.  I've had to fiddle with LD_LIBARARY_PATH,
ldconfig, and a few other hellish hacks.

	I've now successfully built about a third of gnome, but am now
having problems with programs trying to link against libgnome.so -- when
they try to do so, i get unresolved externals in libgnome, complaining
that they can't find routines in from libintl.  I only have a static
version of the latter.

	bit of a nightmare.  But a good introduction to the world of
Un*X libraries, I suppose.

	marc.