Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 19:27:17 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rescanning SCSI-Bus without Rebooting?

Julian Elischer:
 |wire down uk0 then just as you'd wire down sd0
 |then it'll be there whether or not the device is on.

I tried that; no luck.

There's something that's not coming across here, and I'm not sure what it
is.  So let me just give you the results I'm seeing:

   SCENARIO 1 : SCANNER OFF, BOOT UP FREEBSD, THEN TURN SCANNER ON
      # dmesg | grep uk0
      # echo < /dev/uk0
      /dev/uk0: Device not configured.
      # scsi -f /dev/uk0 -d 255
      scsi: unable to open device /dev/uk0: Device not configured

   SCENARIO 2 : SCANNER ON, BOOTUP, LEAVE SCANNER ON
      # dmesg | grep uk0
      uk0 at scbus0 target 6 lun 0
      uk0: Unknown
      # echo < /dev/uk0
      # scsi -f /dev/uk0 -d 255

   USING THESE KERNEL CONFIG ENTRIES (WIRE-DOWN SYNTAX)
      controller   scbus0 at ncr0                     # Single bus device
      disk         sd0 at scbus0 target 5 unit 0      # sd0 = ZIP Drive
      device       uk0 at scbus0 target 6 unit 0      # uk0 = Scanner

How do I get make SCENARIO 1's results look like SCENARIO 2 (i.e. get SCSI
unit rescan-on-open to work, as alluded to in scsi(8))?

Thanks,

Randall