Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:27:45 -0500
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        FreeBSD ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.org>, dinoex@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   popa3d-0.5 port missing /var/empty for chroot

Folks,

After upgrading my vanilla popa3d (/usr/ports/mail/popa3d) install to
popa3d-0.5 via ports, syslog started reporting..

Jan 12 21:30:00 <daemon.crit> hal9000 popa3d[205]: chroot: No such file or directory

..and POP clients could no talk to the server.

After digging in various places I eventually turned up this in
/usr/ports/mail/popa3d/work/popa3d-0.5/INSTALL:

5. Create an empty directory for popa3d to chroot to (unless your
system provides a directory intended for this purpose already):

        # mkdir -m 755 /var/empty

After doing so, the clients could again fetch thir mail, however I note
that the daemon no longer logs its activity as it previously did (at
mail.notice), presumably due to the chroot.

-Andrew-