Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:31:51 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        loki_bsd@cox.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        AZNPrideChinese@worldnet.att.net
Subject:   Re: another question

On Friday 14 June 2002 02:27 am, Brett Rogers wrote:
| On Thursday 13 June 2002 11:21 am, you wrote:
| > when i download stuff from the web, is it a good idea, to download them
| > into /root? i mean when i am logged under root
|
| As a general rule it is not a good idea to login under root.  If your user
| account is in the wheel group, you can run anything that requires root
| permisions by using su or sudo.  (read the man pages)

I'll just inject a personal opinion . . . true, the usual (and generally
best) advice is to never run as root, but when initially configuring a new
machine (which is the the stage that this user is at), I do *everything* as
root, including browsing and downloading.  Otherwise, you will be su'ing so
much it's just ridiculous.

Once you have things essentially set up with the basic configuration and
software installation you want, though, you most definately should switch to
using an ordinary user account as your "base of operations."  And in the case
of FreeBSD, you must add that account to the "wheel" group.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go