Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 12:52:20 -0700
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rsync - mirroring and backup

I have a web site that is going to be changing from a virtually hosted
machine to a new server I have put online running FreeBSD 2.2.6, Pentium
II-233, 128MB RAM.  As I get ready to make the switch, my concern has been
that with about 200 people working on the site and some parts of the site
updated several times a day, I am concerned about the issues of keeping a
mirrored copy current while the domain name change gets routed through all
the nameservers. There is about 250MB / 20,000 files on this site getting
about 4,000 visitors / day.  In addition to the regular html pages getting
updated, there are a number of CGI and C programs writing data that needs
to be kept current as well (ie, voting polls, counters, ad banner logs and
stats, etc..).

I have recently run across rsync when searching for a solution to this
problem and was wondering if anyone has been using it in this type of
fashion to keep the data consistent across the two machines and what your
comments are on it's performance for doing mirroring?

Ideally, I would like to have it run about every 30 minutes since it
appears to only update the changed data.  Any ideas on what kind of a load
this would put on the server?

I only expect to use rsync for about two weeks for the mirroring job.
Afterwards, however, I can see how this can be an extemely useful tool for
maintaining an additional backup copy of the entire site (and I assume the
entire hard drive).

Jerry Preeper
preeper@cts.com