Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 10:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        "W. Maynard" <mark@functional.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for an AMD k6 motherboard

> AMD K6, 233 MHz
> 32 M 72 pin EDO SIMM 8x32 ( x 4 = 128 mb RAM)
> 6.4 GB Quantum SCSI HD
> Matrox Millenium II 8M PCI
> NEC 24 X SCSI CD-ROM drive
> Adaptec 2940UW SCSI PCI
>
> Any recommendations for a motherboard?  Note that am I interested in
> overclocking the k6.  Also, any other comments regarding this
> configuration are welcome.

	I just upgraded one of my computers to an AMDK6-233. I used the
Soltek SL-54U5 motherboard. It's capable of taking all the K6 3D chips. I
also added SDRAM instead of SIMM, better performance by far, and around
here it's cheaper, or at the amounts you want to put in, real close in
price. Also, I personally prefer the ASUS SC-875 SCSI cards over Adaptec,
simply because they're easier to install under FreeBSD, and seem to run
quite a bit faster (as do most all ASUS products.) BTW, overclocking CPU
chips is a bad idea all around, you don't usually get that much more
performance for the risks you run in instability of the system as a
whole. If the chip had been meant to go that speed, the manufacturer
would have labeled it that speed!

						Rick