Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:33:21 +0200
From:      David =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Petri Riihikallio <Petri.Riihikallio@Metis.fi>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to shut down cleanly by killing power

On Fri 2002-09-27 (19:03), Petri Riihikallio wrote:
> You have an APC "smart" model, I have a dumb one. The smart ones have
> a "shutdown grace period". That is, they don't kill the power
> immediately after the -k command, but after a delay. That -d 3 should
> make it 3 seconds, which is kind of short. The default delay is 20
> seconds. If there are no stuck processes, it should be OK. You could
> increase the delay to 60 seconds to be sure that the system is
> lifeless.

Correction: the -d switch sets how long newapc will hang around
waiting for; the length of time that the UPS waits before shutting
down is set using upsct2.  I've used -d 3 so that newapc exits
quickly, the shutdown completes, and the PC powers down.

> You shouldn't have any fear of the deadlock, since the smart APC
> UPSes obey the killpower command even if the power returns. It is
> just the dumb ones to worry about.

Hmm... then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

--
David Siebörger
drs@rucus.ru.ac.za