Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 01:38:04 -3830 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Howto: Sun 3's as X Terminal

Brian Tao stands accused of saying:

> > lovely:~>grep tftp /etc/inetd.conf
> > tftp    dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd
> >
> > ... and I have a diskless Sun 3/60 and a Labtam MT200 booting off this
> > system.
>
>     Where is your tftpd file hierarchy anchored?  I always use

/.

> /tftpboot, but I don't see any default hierarcy set from the source.

/tftpboot is traditional; many clients will search there as well.

> I assume that your entire filesystem is accessible via tftp in that
> case since the code does not check for access restrictions.

Inasmuch as tftpd runs as 'nobody', yes, the system is "wide open".
Given that tftpd has no means for returning the contents of a directory,
I don't consider it a major problem.  I don't have anything to hide
anyway 8)

>     How about adding an optional argument to tftpd that will be passed
> to chroot()?

As with the Solaris '-s' option?  Probably a worthwhile addition for sites
where security is an issue.