Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 07:37:08 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        Questions=answers <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: initialisation of modem with ppp

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980711053319.3864A-100000@outpost.nada.org>, Spidey w
rote:
} Helllo everybody!
}
} I jsut wnna ask a stupid question: does anybody knows where I can change
} the modem initialisation string for ppp? I just can't, after scanning the
} manpage... Does ppp chooses a modem from the /etc/modems database?

Assuming you're talking about user ppp, it talks to whichever device you
have listed in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, at whatever speed you tell it to talk at.
You can change the string sent by the modem by altering what you feed
the "set dial" portion of ppp.conf.  There is no notion of "which modem
to use" as much as "which device (file) to talk to".

[ 18 lines of .sig which followed a 6 line question chopped ]

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com