Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 17:35:05 -0500
From:      FreeBird <freebird@on-net.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   samba startup and resolv.conf

Is there a way for smbd and nmbd not to read resolv.conf during startup?
I have two NT machines on the same network as my BSD and would like to
run samba. My BSD box is setup as a webserver so it has to have the
correct servername, I have a static IP with reverse DNS so I have a
unique hostname. When I start smbd and nmbd they try to add my outside
IP to config and they bomb out but if I comment out nameserver in
resolv.conf then restart samba works. I can then reedit resolv.conf and
everything is right with the world. Can I add a line somewhere that
would keep them from accessing resolv.conf?

Thanks in Advance

FreeBird