Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:03:11 +0800 (PHT)
From:      Orlando Andico <orly@mozcom.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   timer problems with Cyrix

I've recently installed FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE on a machine with an IBM
6X86MX processor (a retired PC of mine which isn't good enough for the
desktop anymore but still OK as web server).

As those of you with this type of chip probably know, it produces a large
amount of heat. Now I used this machine with Linux for a long time, and I
know that enabling Suspend-on-Halt works wonders for cooling. When I
enabled this in the FreeBSD kernel configuration (options "CPU_SUSP_HLT")
I _did_ experience a significant cooling improvement.

HOWEVER: this is NO GOOD because the gettimeofday() syscall was affected
(Perl sleep builtin now sleeps for 2-30 seconds when you ask it to sleep
1 second, that kind of thing).

I'm SURE it's this syscall because I trussed the Perl executable and it
got stuck on gettimeofday. This means that enabling Suspend-on-Halt
somehow affects the kernel's timekeeping in a bad way. Is there a fix?
also, why is this happening? it works faultlessly with Linux.