Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 2003 16:40:46 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Parallel Port in 5.1-RELEASE

I have a computer running 5.1-RELEASE and another running
4.9-RELEASE.. Both have the same motherboard with onboard ports/nic,
etc, so conditions should be equal. They both have a printer plugged
in the parallel port. One printer is an HP 5L, the other is an HP 6L,
so that is almost identical also.

On the 5.1 system, boot messages show:

ppc0: Generic chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/16 bytes threshold
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <unknown unknown>
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

On the 4.9-RELEASE system, I get:

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/16 bytes threshold
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 6L/0101.01> PRINTER HP ENHANCED
PCL5,PJL
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

The 4.9 system identifies the printer, the 5.1 system does not, it
calls it an "IEEE1284 device".

I run CUPS printing on both. On the 4.9 system, the parallel port is
available in the cups setup. On the 5.1 system, it is not. The
utility 'lpinfo' that comes with CUPS shows a parallel port on the
4.9 System, but not on the 5.1-SYSTEM.

The device 'lpt0' shows up in the devfs at /dev on the 5.1 box.
However, the permissions always some up as 600 after a bootup, even
though I have:

perm    pass0   0666
perm    acd0c   0666
perm    lpt0    0666

in /etc/devfs.conf.  The first two rules work. The rule for lpt0 does
not.

BTW, I have a laptop running 5.1 and it does not show a parallel port
in CUPS either.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

--