Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2018 09:31:09 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FYI: head -r338341 on Pine64+ 2GB for a microsdhc boot media: mmc0: Failed to set VCCQ for card at relative address 43690

On 2018-Aug-29, at 5:13 AM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> =
wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 14:04:21 +0200
> Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 23:26:36 -0700
>> Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>>> aw_mmc0: <Allwinner Integrated MMC/SD controller> mem =
0x1c0f000-0x1c0ffff irq 8 on simplebus0
>>> mmc0: <MMC/SD bus> on aw_mmc0
>>> . . .
>>> mmcsd0: 32GB <SDHC SE32G 8.0 SN <REPLACED> MFG 07/2017 by 3 SD> at =
mmc0 50.0MHz/4bit/32768-block
>>> mmc0: Failed to set VCCQ for card at relative address 43690
>>>=20
>>> It seem to tolerate that it did-not/could-not set the value.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> It appears that sysutils/mmc-utils (still) just
>>> gets AW_MMC_INT_RESP_TIMEOUT / ioctl: Operation timed out
>>> for: mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcsd0 (once it is not mounted).
>>>=20
>>> # mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcsd0 | more
>>> open: Operation not permitted
>>>=20
>>> # df -m
>>> Filesystem               1M-blocks  Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>>> /dev/ufs/PINE642GBrootfs     29400 16901  10147    62%    /
>>> devfs                            0     0      0   100%    /dev
>>> /dev/label/PINE642GBboot        63     0     63     0%    /boot/efi
>>>=20
>>> Booting with / on a USB device instead and dismounting /boot/efi
>>> (on mmcsd0) gets:
>>>=20
>>> # mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcsd0 | more
>>> AW_MMC_INT_RESP_TIMEOUT=20
>>> ioctl: Operation timed out
>>> Could not read EXT_CSD from /dev/mmcsd0
>>=20
>> Why are you attempting to read a MMC v4.0+ register from an SDcard ?

I'm just so used to historically booting from an e.MMC on an
adapter that I automatically reverted to an e.MMC type of
command without noticing. My Linux test environment is based
on such an adapter, so I've also been context switching with
an environment were the command does work.

Sorry for the noise for the "mmc extcsd read".

> Maybe it was even before that but it doesn't matter, my question is
> still valid.
>=20
>> (FYI this command works perfectly when executing on the eMMC on my
>> pine64-lts)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com