Date:      Sat, 09 Nov 2002 11:21:50 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Peter Gatsoulis <pg@eth1.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 -configure

I've heard rumors of problems with XFree86 4.0 and suggested workarounds
involving the installation of XFree86 from an earlier release of FreeBSD.

YMMV, of course.

-- richard

Peter Gatsoulis wrote:

> hi
>
> we just finished installing 4.7 on a couple of "older" but quite FBSD able
> laptops, both are P133's,  the first is an IBM Thinkpad 760ED with a 12.1"
> TFT SVGA LCD and the scond is a Toshiba TECRA 720CDT with a 12.1" TFT SVGA
> LCD
> both are capable of displaying at 1024x768 very nicely.
>
> in a former life both ran older versions of FBSD with the older 3Xseries of
> Xfree86 both dispalying excellent with proper pixel depth at 1024x768,
> unfortunately those older 3X series XF86Config files are long gone..
>
> Now here's the questions;
>
> In the case of the Toshiba TECRA, finished installing FBSD 4.7 then did a
> XFree86 -configure
> the default autoprobed XF86Config does nothing, that is nothing appears on
> the screen when doing the reccm test procedure or after copying the produced
> file into /etc/XF86Config
>
> there are no error messages in the log either, it's as if everything was
> normal.
>
> looking at the XF86Config produced by the autoprobe procedure it did
> identify correctly the chipset as a C&T 65550 but the laptop LCD panel it
> DID NOT id correctly, it states it just as a default monitor.
>
> Suggestions???
>
> In the case of the IBM TP almost the same behavior with thsi exception, we
> do get a rectangular screened "tile" in the middle of the LCD with the
> expected bare X-win when doing a startx (after moving the produced
> XF86Config.new into /etc/XF86Config)
> All's there but it's just in the center and takes up about a quarter of the
> screen, doing the <ctl><alt><numpad+> to try and cycle thru various
> resolutions does nothing.
> Oh and yes for this IBM TP, the chipset was id'd correctly as a Trident TGUI
> 96xx with the XFree86 -configure autoprobe produced XF86Config.new file.
>
> In both cases we kill the X servers with the <ctl><alt><Backspc> sequence to
> get out altho in the IBM we can also type exit at the main Xwin that appears
>

> Suggestions to try ?? anyone have a working XF86Config for these LCD's and
> chipsets?
>
> we realize that this new series of Xfree86, now series 4 or whatever is in
> FBSD 4.7 is a whole new ballgame.
>
> thanx
> -Kj & P

Richard A Childers/KG6HAC -- Senor UNIX System & Network Administrator
"Dont forget nothing." Maj Rogers, standing orders, 1st Ranger Bn, 1759