Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:54:33 -0800
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        chromium@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Font display on Non-English sites

On 11/13/2012 17:16, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using chromium-23.0.1271.64 with LANG=en_NZ.UTF-8; and I've
> noticed that non-latin characters do not display correctly, eg:
> http://www.cnn.co.jp/  displays squares instead of Japanese characters.
>
> If I start chrome with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8,http://www.cnn.co.jp/  displays
> correctly; but all its prompts are in Japanese - not ideal.
>
> Is this a FreeBSD chromium issue, or is it a general failing of chromium?
>
> Workarounds and hints would be welcome.

I also see this. On its face this looks like a regression from 22.x.x.x
version which showed Japanese in the same environment.
chrome shows the font-family in computed style as:
メイリオ, Meiryo, Tahoma, Verdana, 'ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3', 'Hiragino Kaku
Gothic Pro', Osaka, 'MS Pゴシック', 'MS PGothic', sans-serif;
chrome goes through the list of fonts in the style attempting to match
the font, and it may be that none of them matches.
It's hard to tell whether it really should or should not show Japanese
with the fonts installed on the system.

As a possible workaround you may try installing fonts from
japanese/font-* ports. This will work if the problem is a genuine lack
of Japanese font, not some other random bug.
Maybe Japanese users will have a better perspective for this problem.

Yuri