Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:32:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      matt <matt@AIC-GW.MLINK.NET>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DES & MD5?

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:

: On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
:
: > I think when you use MD5 or DES you can still have different kind of
: > passwords in your password file.

Thankfully Yes.. I'll explain more later on down the mail.

: You can. crypt() checks whether it's being passed a salt of the form
: $1$...$, and if so, passes it to crypt_md5(), otherwise considers it as a DES
: salt and sends it to crypt_des() (if DES support is compiled in).

I mistakening installed 3.2 with DES so it was making DES passwords
instead of MD5 passwords, I happen to prefere MD5, so I just redid the
symlinks on libcrypt* from libdescrypt to libscrypt... etc.. worked nicely
back to MD5

: So you can mix and match any passwords your crypt() knows how to parse. The
: only problem is that standrd FreeBSD doesn't have a way to select which
: password scheme you want: if you install the DES sources, you get DES
: passwords, otherwise MD5, for your new passwords.

We really should look at something like OpenBSD's password system, they
really do have a bloody amazing password and encryption scheme..

: Kris

Matt

: -----
: "Never criticize anybody until you have walked a mile in their shoes,
: because by that time you will be a mile away and have their shoes."
:     -- Unknown

--
matt@AIC-GW.MLINK.NET