Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:55:04 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, mm@freebsd.org, pjd@freebsd.org,  jamie@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fixed Jail ID for ZFS -> need proper mgmt?

Hi,

I had been talking to someone about jail management and it turns out
people are using jail jid=42 to always have a fixed jail ID.  The
reason as I understood is that ZFS datasets are associated by jail id
for delegation? [I admit having no clue about the ZFS side]

If this is true I feel it's a very bad idea as it makes restarting
jails a lot harder in case they remain DYING for say a not fully
closed TCP session.

My memories are: jid are still unique and cannot be re-used, even if
in DYING, names can be re-used and thus are not neccessarily unique.
Jamie, can you confirm this?

Seems we need to sort out one to two problems:

1) can we make sure that the jail management framework can address a
    ZFS dataset for delegation somehow and automatically do that as
    part of the startup?

2) in the case of (1) it should be possible to address jails by name
    as ZFS would be handled automatically and we would not need another
    unique identifier I guess?
    Otherwise I'd prefer for people to be able to delegate ZFS datasets
    to jail names (as well), as long as they are uniquely identifyable
    (i.e. there are no 17 jails running with a name of "filesever").

Do we have documentation for the ZFS features in the man pages or
elsewhere btw?   If not we should add it.

Does this make sense?

/bz

          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.