Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 22:24:57 -0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_Patrick_Swift?= <bjorn@innn.is>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Boot failed - all data lost - SOLVED

Hi, and thanks for all the replies (on and off the list).

I got the machine back from my Dell vendor last Friday with the =
explanation that it's BIOS (Dell A02) was broken. Under some operating =
systems, disabling the USB controller could interfere with the OS's boot =
process. Now, they weren't familiar with this "FreeSDF" system but they =
thought that might be it. Just to be sure they decided to format the =
disks, install Windows 200 Server and see if they could get the machine =
to boot. It booted. This may be the best way to troubleshoot hardware, =
but I beg to differ.

Once back in my office I downgraded to A02 and installed FreeBSD. I =
tried disabling the USB controller in the BIOS with the same results as =
before. Boot failed and no sign of any data. Doing the same procedure =
with A03 has no affect and therefor I have written this off as a Dell =
BIOS thing.

Of course, since Dell does not officially support other OSes than =
Windows or Redhat linux - running FreeBSD was at my own risk and I will =
have to pay for the times spent on "fixing" the machine.

Thanks again for your replies,
Bjorn Swift