Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:55:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Wilson <wk633@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problem mounting ufs partitions from 2nd drive

I have done a fresh install on a new HD (4.0-RELEASE), and now I'm trying to
mount filesystems from my old drive, which is now a primary slave.  I am able
to mount mdos partitions from my old drive, in /etc/fstab I have:
/dev/ad1s1    /c       msdos   rw       2       2
and it works fine.

I also have:
/dev/ad1s2a  /old      ufs     rw       2       2

/old exists, I'm running as root, and disklabel (via sysinstall) confirms that
ad1s2a is the root file system from my old drive:
ad1s2a    <none>          78MB *

From /dev, I did:
./MAKEDEV ad1s2a
which get's rid of my 'no file or directory' problem, but now I get
mount: Operation not permitted

The permissions on /dev/ad1s2a are the same as all other devices:
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    3, 0x0004000c Jul 28 14:54 wd1s3e

Double checked I'm root...

I tried the same procedure with different mount point and /dev for my old /usr,
and I get the same problem.  I also tried booting my old system and mounting my
new drive filesystems, no luck.

=====
:    __o  "Live simply, that others may simply live."
:   -\<,   -Mohandis Gandhi
:   0/ 0