Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 08:40:34 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Mark Smith" <msmith@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp filter problems!

>I'm having a problem with filtering on my FreeBSD 3.4R box.  I'm using
>user PPP.  When I use the following rule set, I can  ping out and in,
>and telnet out but NOT telnet into my box via tun0.  When I use tcpdump
>to watch tun0, I don't see any packets for telnet coming in. Does
>anybody have any ideas?
>
>  set filter in  0 permit icmp
>  set filter out 0 permit icmp
>  set filter in  1 permit udp src eq 53
>  set filter out 1 permit udp dst eq 53
>  set filter in  2 permit tcp src eq 23 estab
>  set filter out 2 permit tcp dst eq 23
>  set filter in  3 permit tcp src eq 80
>  set filter out 3 permit tcp dst eq 80
>  set filter in  4 permit tcp dst eq 113
>  set filter out 4 permit tcp src eq 113

I think you need these rules also:

 set filter in  5 permit tcp dst eq 23
 set filter out 5 permit tcp src eq 23

Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't say that allowing folks on the
outside to telnet in is *a bad idea.* You should be using SSH on port 22 if
you want to allow access into your machine from the Internet.

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!