Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:54:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Michel <scottm@cs.ucla.edu>
To:        djc6@k2.scl.cwru.edu, freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LANE support for PCA-200E?

! 	I have a Fore PCA-200E and have looked at the HARP 2 package for
! FreeBSD 2.2.x (http://www.msci.magic.net/harp/harp2.html) but don't see
! any mention of LANE support.  Is there another atm package that supports
! both my for NIC and LANE?  Does anyone know if LANE support is in the
! works? I'm currently using Linux with the card and am forced to use a
! buggy, old version of the ATM package for linux since the PCA-200E drivers
! haven't been updated in a while and aren't compatible with the new ATM
! pacakge.  Just looking for some alternatives.

Gack! No. There's no LAME support. Unless you want to code it up
yourself. Frankly, LAME has high overhead, and on the Solaris side,
constitutes ~1/3 of the driver.

- Need to implement UNI 3.0/3.1/4.0 signalling for LAME to be
  operational.

- Do you just want to be a LEC, LECS, or do you want to be a LES/BUS?
  Depending on the answer, that's the amount of code you'll have to
  write.

Of course, it's probably better to start with the LAME 2.0 specs.

-scooter