Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:46:36 +1200
From:      "Michael Williams" <sdynamic@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "William L. Hamlin" <whamlin@connetsys.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, <fwtk-users@lists.nai.com>
Subject:   Re: IPBind patch for fwtk on freeBSD 3.2

Bill,
Thanks for your quick response. Sorry for my slow reply.. NZ time it way
differant.
If socket programming is bordering off corect topic for freebsd-security
perhaps one of the freeBSD team could let me know in which case we could
post the resolution only to freebsd-security :)

>Which version of IPBind are you using?  If you are using anything older
>than 1.2, get the newest one - that will probably be your problem.  There
>are known issues with earlier versions attempting to bind specific IP
>addresses on some systems.

Oops, silly of me to include the version of everything but the IPBind code.
Version 1.2 already (:

>My next suggestion would be to verify that the IP address you are
>specifying (172.16.30.4) is indeed the one that you want to use and that
>it is correctly configured on the local machine.  I know this sounds
>basic, but most of the problem e-mails I get regarding the patch end up
>being this very problem.  A good sign of a computer nut is that his eyes
>are almost completely blurry from working all night...

Good suggestion just the same, I can bind the plug-gw by port only and
connect via the IP address in question.
First I started with an alias IP & then moved on to using the base adapter
IP which I know works.

An interesting direct reply I had suggested that FreeBSD requires entire
sockaddr_in structure to be
bzero'ed before assigning address.
In the mean time I have found the Socket-address template structure and a
sample diagram for the Internet-domain socket name ( Design & Implementation
4.4 BSD ) showing the layout as follows:

sa_len, sa_family,  sa_data
1-byte, 1-byte,  variable-length

Which in this case should be:
sin_len,AF_INET,sin_port,sin_addr,sin_zero

My 'c' code is very rusty but I will follow this up.
I use freeBSD on  a number of production servers in various secure roles and
find it to be the most interesting, fun and stable OS of any I have ever
used :)

Mike.

Michael Williams
Software Dynamics