Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:17:25 +0800
From:      David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>
To:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: how can you say ufs is faster?

Hello Dan,

DP> I am not disagreeing with you for your case study or OS for that matter as
DP> I do prefer freebsd much over linux anyday. IN a test I did where qmail
DP> was overloaded with mail on both a linux fs then a freebsd fs, linux fs
DP> outperformed freebsd no problems. Ufs , maybe i am wrong but is way slower
DP> when writing to files. Maybe reading sure.....but i am convinced writing
DP> there is no way. What i ended up doing was just striping 3 scsi drives
DP> together with vinum on freebsd because i try not to use linux unless
DP> SMP is a major factor. IF you look over current SMP code in kernel
DP> i can say linux and solaris do it way better......and there is no way fbsd
DP> can do it without a complete re-write of kernel which they are promising
DP> in  5.0....but we will see. I really question your benchmark program....
DP> what do you use and your stats were based on more than 1 benchmark test
DP> right?

evaluting a FS performance is difficult, I don't think ext2fs is
fast, you may not test deleting large file in ext2fs, it is a slowest
file system I ever saw, but UFS in FreeBSD is very fast at removing a
huge file. I suppose you are hosting a free web server, there are lots
of users online, suppose they are all reading mail, and then remove
readed mail, you user will hit EXT2FS's weakness, your system will
slow down because of EXT2FS is slow at removing file. yes many testing
just pass through to SMTP to see if your mail server can receive how
many mails in one second, but it is obvious not enough, don't ignore
benchmark of removing file!

--
Best regards,
David Xu