Date:      Mon, 06 Jul 2009 18:14:03 +0900
From:      Daichi GOTO <daichi@ongs.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-python@FreeBSD.org, Masanori OZAWA <ozawa@ongs.co.jp>
Subject:   [CFI] About Python3+ libraries

Hi python ports folks,

I want to know your ideas and suggestions.

Right now, there are 2 major python branches, python 2.x
and 3.x.  Most ports uses python 2.x as their supported
version python.

But for i18n user, python 3+ is better than python 2.x,
at least for me.  So I'm developing some tools and
utilities using python 3.0. And encountered a problem,
how would I use 3rd party's python 3+ libraries even
simultaneously with python2 environment.  To use python 2.x
as default python is reasonable, because most python
applications and libraries use it. But I want to use
python3 concurrently.

Easy and non-impact solution is to add ports with
py3- prefix I guess. For example, right now I want to
python3 verion x11-toolkits/py-tkinter.

   x11-toolkits/py-tkinter   - (current port)
   x11-toolkits/py3-tkinter  - (I want to add, suiting for
                                Python 3+)

Ideally, in the future while python3 as default version,
that will be follow I guess.

   x11-toolkits/py-tkinter   - (meta port depending on PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION)
   x11-toolkits/py2-tkinter  - (suiting for Python 2.x, modified from original
                                x11-toolkits/py-tkinter)
   x11-toolkits/py3-tkinter  - (suiting for Python 3+)

I think that strategy is reasonable. So I am thinking to
add some python3+ libraries with py3- prefix if there is
no objections.

Are there any more good ideas and solutions?  I want to
know your ideas.

Thanks :)

--
   ONGS Inc.