Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 23:09:13 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Possible ncr problem?

On Sunday, 28th September 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

>As David Langford wrote:
>
>> Any thought on what this means?
>
>> assertion "cp" failed: file "../../pci/ncr.c", line 6228
>> sd1: COMMAND FAILED (4 28) @f0497000.
>> assertion "cp" failed: file "../../pci/ncr.c", line 6228
>> sd1: COMMAND FAILED (4 28) @f0497000.
>
>Please, re-read the answers Stefan gave to this question in the
>mailing list archives for freebsd-scsi.
>
>Basically, the IBM drives seem to dislike tagged commands when it
>comes to START STOP UNIT.  Removing the scsi_start_unit() from
>sdopen() probably solves your (and my :) problem, but i didn't try so
>far.
>
>The upcoming CAM code is supposed to handle this situation better.

If there is a rough hack that could be applied to 2.2.5, I think we should.
This problem is becoming more widespread (with the growing popularity of
NCR controllers and IBM disks) and the CAM code will not be here in time.

If we could make the message a little bit less horrifying, it would be a
start.  I can test any fixes, but I don't think I'll be able to generate
any in time.

Stephen.