Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:13:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recovering SCSI disk contents the evil way?

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> We're trying to recover the contents of the CCD array that was in use on
> hub (yes, this should involve "restore from backup", but certain backup
> issues are precluding this).
>
> The disk in question is an IBM DCAS-34330; it's looking pretty sick in
> that it's not able to correctly print its version string when probed,
> _but_, the loader is able to correctly read the first few sectors to get
> the disklabel off it.

This is just a datapoint, it probably won't help your situation,
though...

My DCAS-34330W's don't report their version string for the first time
after they've been powered up.  Every subsequent inquiry works fine.
My SCSI BIOS is the first thing to do an inquiry so it gets the
incorrect (missing?) reply, but FreeBSD gets it just fine by the time
it asks for it.  If I remember correctly, even when I told the BIOS
not to probe one of the disks so that FreeBSD had to do it for the
first time, things still worked fine, so it didn't seem to be of any
consequence.  I haven't tried that since 2.2.x though.

da0 at sym0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <IBM DCAS-34330W S65A> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)
da0: 4134MB (8467200 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 527C)
da1 at sym0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <IBM DCAS-34330W S65A> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)
da1: 4134MB (8467200 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 527C)

If either of these were dead, I'd offer you the logic board to see if
that would bring hub back to life, assuming my logic board wasn't dead
and yours was the source of the problem.  I'd do that even if mine
weren't dead if someone offered to replace it with a similar drive, if
its really that important.  :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )