Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 21:38:34 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 and FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE

Cliff Addy wrote:

> > Michael Slater wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >      I have heard that the Adaptec 2940 driver has had problems in the past.
> > >  Is this sorted out in 2.2.2-RELEASE ?
>
> We have had ongoing problems with our Adaptec 2940UW servers since the
> 2.1.7 debacle.  Our servers were gloriously stable up through 2.1.5,
> unreliable since.  2.2, 2.2.1, and 2.2.2 have shown no improvement, same
> old story that others have mentioned, especially the spontaneous lockups
> with "SCSI bus resets."  Haven't tried with 2.2.5, we're probably
> converting to another OS since it looks like it's not going to get fixed.
> Personally, I'm tired of getting up at 2am to power-cycle a server, if I
> enjoyed that we'd be running NT :)

	I don't blame you for being frustrated.  I would give 2.2.5-Stable a
try before you switch OS' though.  The 2940 support has come leaps and
bounds.  Mine works just fine, but I don't do anything exciting with
it.  The SCAM support is turned on with the card's on-board BIOS.  Use
Ctrl-A right after the POST test (after a power cycle) and it should get
you there.  Unless you disabled it there's a banner that tells you when
the 2940UW is initializing.  If your card doesn't have that setting,
Adaptec should be able to set you up with new BIOS.

	FWIW, my friend had a straight 2940 on a fairly busy shell server, and
even with 2.2.2 his uptime went from days to months after he upgraded
the card's BIOS and turned on SCAM support.

Hope this helps,

Doug