Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:18:31 +0300
From:      Kirill Bezzubets <kirill@solaris.ru>
To:        "Kirill V. Grigoroff" <slugard@aport.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem using pcmcia modem on laptop

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 02:18:15PM +0300, Kirill V. Grigoroff wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I'm having a problem using my pcmcia modem that I have on my Xircon
> card (Xircom CEM56 [16-bit Ethernet + 56k modem]).  When I try to use
> kppp with KDE (or ppp with console) it freezes when I try to query the
> modem. I couldn't find any references to pcmcia modems in the
> handbook, could someone point me in the right direction?
>
> xe0 at port 0x2e8-0x2ef iomem 0xd1000-0xd1fff irq 11 slot 0 on pccard0
> xe0: Xircom CEM56, bonding version 0x55, 100Mbps capable, with modem
> xe0: DingoID = 0x444b, RevisionID = 0x1, VendorID = 0
> xe0: Ethernet address 00:10:a4:ed:fd:79

Actually, you can't use both modem/ethernet at the same time -
it discussed a lot of times in this list - search archives.

Your card configured now in pccardd.conf (default, perhaps?) as xe0
ethernet, so you need to comment 'config 0x27 "xe" ?' and remove comment in
the next line 'config auto "sio"'. You will lose ethernet ability of the
card, but modem will work well.

--
BR,
Kirill Bezzubets                                CASE-RIPE CASE-RIPN