Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 19:15:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ron <pro1@doitnow.com>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Ron wrote:

> I'm hoping you can answer a couple of questions for a neophyte.  I am
> going to school at De Vry in the CIS program and will be taking a C/UNIX
> course next trimester.  My question is:  Is FreeBSD better than LINUX?

We all think so :-)

> If so, in what ways?

This is a fairly religious question.  You can see what other's opinions
are at http://www.freebsd.org.

> The way I want to use a UNIX type O/S is at work.
> We are using WIN95 right now for our Network and it's VERY slow.  If I
> understand correctly, UNIX provides a much faster network environment.
> Is this true?  We don't have a large network:  A server/workstation and
> two more single workstations.

This depends on what you are doing, but in my experience FreeBSD-based
workstations do an excellent job with networks.

> Will most software made for UNIX work on both FreeBSD and LINUX?  Is
> there more software available for FreeBSD than LINUX?

Most Linux software can be ported to FreeBSD, and if you can't do that, it
has a Linux emulator that can many Linux apps, depending on how intrusive
the program is.

> I have a copy of LINUX right now and it seems rather difficult to work
> with.  (Of course, some of it could be because I know virtually nothing
> about UNIX!)

The install program for FreeBSD is much smoother, in my opinion.