Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 2006 18:59:53 +0400
From:      Michael Bushkov <bushman@rsu.ru>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   nss_ldap and openldap importing

Hi,
I'm a FreeBSD SoC 2006 student, I work on the nsswitch/ldap/caching
daemon stuff this summer. One of the tasks, that I have to do is to
import nss_ldap into the source tree. I just want to check the situation
with licenses.

nss_ldap uses OpenLDAP library, which uses OpenLDAP license
(http://www.openldap.org/software/release/license.html). OpenLDAP
license seems to be BSD-compatible - so there seems to be no problems
with importing it into the source tree.

nss_ldap itself uses LGPL. As we use nss_ldap only as dynamic library,
which is used in the "larger work" (which FreeBSD is), it can be also
included into the source tree. So, we can import nss_ldap, by directly
importing (with some specific changes, though) it and OpenLDAP into the
source tree, can we? Just want to be sure that I understand licensing
situation correctly.

With best regards,
Michael Bushkov