Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:00:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Garance A Drosehn <drosehn@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/35897: upgrading the linux_base port runs into trouble

The following reply was made to PR ports/35897; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Garance A Drosehn <drosehn@rpi.edu>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:58:36 -0500

 Okay, it looks like the problem I ran into is at least partially an
 interaction between the linux_base-7 and vmware2 ports.  I have run into
 this upgrade problem several times, and of course it always hits me just
 when I don't have a lot of free time to deal with it...

 Note that vmware2 is basically the only reason I install linux_base, so
 my situation is probably different than the average user of the
 linux_base ports.  Also note that I have 'linux_enable=YES' in my
 /etc/rc.conf file.

 In any case, now that I have a little more time, I figured out that:
      portupgrade linux_base
 will work for me *if* I first type:
      umount linprocfs

 The upgrade itself completes fine, but at the end of the upgrade the
 vmware2 program is broken.  The upgrade removes the old linux_base-7
 port, and installs the new, freshly-made version of that port.  But it
 seems that de-installing linux_base-7 will (all by itself) blow away
 /compat/linux/dev.  And because that is gone, the user will need to
 re-install the vmware2 port to get vmware2 working again.  All I had to
 do was:
      portupgrade -f vmware2
 and reboot, and now I have both of those upgraded and vmware2 is working
 fine for me.

 So the de-install procedures for linux_base-7 probably need to be looked
 at.  What's there is probably fine if you really ARE removing
 linux_base, but it causes problems during a port-upgrade situation.
 That, and the problems it gets into if linprocfs is mounted.

 ---
 Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.acs.rpi.edu
 Senior Systems Programmer           or     gad@FreeBSD.org
 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA