Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:47:47 -0700
From:      Don Dugger <dugger@hotlz.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Subject:   Re: Why is not more FreeBSD software written in C++?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>Don Dugger <dugger@hotlz.com> writes:
>

>>Not that any of this really matter's, but this was not the way I
>>remembered it happening so I did a little looking. Bjarne Stroustrup
>>says in his book "The C++ Programming Language" Third Edition (I
>>think he had something do with c++) on page 11 that the ISO standard
>>was taken from the ANSI standard and "From 1990, these joint C++
>>standards committees have been the main forum for the evolution of
>>C++ and the refinement of its of its definition."
>>

>Exactly.  C and C++ have been in ISO's hands since 1990, so for the
>past 16 years, ANSI has had no involvement in their development other
>than to rubberstamp what ISO produces.

So if c++ isn't all that good it's ISO fault not ANSI? Why is this so
important to you.
You don't really believe that all the engineer in the US simply don't
care what's it the standard
and have no input at all. That HP and IBM and SUN and Microsoft and and
and .... just sit here and say
what ever you want ISO we don't care. Well that doesn't sound like the
corporate world I know. Nor
does that sound like the guys at FSF.  But I will admit I complain about
the decision and do thing myself.

>>BTW where's Bjarne from? In the book he mentions Murray Hill, New
>>Jersey but with that name I think he from somewhere else.
>>

>He is Danish.  Murray Hill, NJ is the location of AT&T Labs, where he
>works.
>
>DES

I know where AT&T *was*.

Don 8)