Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 10:52:02 -0400
From:      Andrew Suessmuth <aks@interlog.com>
To:        "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ASUS SP3G NCR problem

Umm.... HELP!  :-)

I've just spent a futile night scouring the freebsd archives, looking =
for answers to my SCSI boot problems, and couldn't find an answer (that =
worked anyways.  :-) )

I have a rev 1.8 PCI/I-SP3G ASUS motherboard with a rev 4 Saturn chip in =
it and a rev 2 NCR 53c810 chip.  I'm trying to boot using the 2.1.0 boot =
floppy image.  The devices on the SCSI chain are:  Toshiba MK538FB hard =
drive, Hitachi DK516C hard drive, ARCHIVE Python DAT, and a Sony =
CDU-76S.  All the PCI related BIOS settings are set to the BIOS =
defaults.

When FreeBSD reaches the point where it polls the NCR SCSI bus, it =
starts scrolling a bunch error messages.  I haven't recorded all the =
messages it scrolls up the screen, but after correctly identifying the =
device (it prints the right name on screen) it receives an M_REJECT and =
a timeout for each device.  One line in the middle of the scroll that =
caught my eye might be helpful in IDing the problem:

DEBUG: ioctl(3, TIOCCONS, NULL) =3D 0 (success)

Another cute effect occurs when I exit the install program, causing a =
reboot, my system reports a CMOS checksum error, and gets reset to the =
default BIOS settings.

I appologize in advance if this isn't the correct list to post this =
question in (it seemed most fitting to me).

Andrew Suessmuth
aks@interlog.comTesting