Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:45:48 +0100
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: max blockdevice/filesystem size?

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

Hi.

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 01:43:50AM +0100, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> > Since the information in the FAQ seems rather outdated, can someone tell
> > me, what the maximum size of a UFS2/ffs filesystem is with FreeBSD 5.2?
> > I'm looking for practical values. Something like: OK, we hit the max
> > size of a SCSI device, so we use some more of them and vinum. How much
> > TB would work in a single FS?
>=20
> See this thread for detailed information:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-January/threa=
d.html#19314

Well, I've seen that read earlier, but well it talks a lot about the=20
limits of UFS1 and FBSD 4 - which are by far too low. Plans here were=20
something about 10 TB as a first step. Due to the nature of data and how=20
they are accessed it's not really simple to split them up into different=20
filesystems, as it's not easy to predict which parts grow most.

Well, would a 10 TB fs work out of the Box with 5.2?

- Oliver

--=20
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |
|               Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe.               |
| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung aller enthaltenen Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5--