Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:08:01 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help getting back-to-back PCA200E working

thanks for all input!

1) doh! I didn't think to look under /usr/share/examples. *heaps* of
   info there.

2) I wasn't doing the ifconfig before the atm pvc. I'd assumed you
   bound IP services after the entire ATM 'stack' was configured.

3) I have a very recent pca200e.bin file, via a Fore employeee and
   not a 'known to work' image. In fact, the fore-microcode.txt
   document *explicitly* warned my version didn't work.

I downloaded the correct image from Fore. fore_dnld now behaves *completely*
differently. I suggest that the fore-microcode.txt doc note that an
incorrect image can be diagnosed as a slow return from calling fore_dnld
(of the order 45 sec) with no output.

that, plus calling the ifconfig before the atm attach and atm add pvc
seems to have done it. (one end only so far: other machine still offline
but I'm hopeful)

Many thanks to everyone who replied.

cheers
	-George