Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:55:38 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Call for e1000phy(4) testers.

Hi,

I had been writing msk(4) for FreeBSD and realized that e1000phy(4)
is buggy on newer Marvell PHYs. For example, manual media selection
didn't work at all and I had to stick to autoselection of the media
type. The Marvell PHYs are widely used on various NICs including
em(4), stge(4), sk(4), msk(4) and nfe(4). Except em(4) which does
not support MII layers, correct operation of e1000phy(4) is very
important to get a good link with link partner and to report link
state changes to upper layers(e.g. dhclinet(8)).

With this patch you should be able to set a media type without
relying on autoselection and it should supports automatic crossover
for all known Marvell PHYs. I've tried hard not to break existing
behaviour(e.g. Fiber transceivers) but I can't verify that as I
don't have any NICs that have Marvell Fiber transceivers. The patch
is somewhat ugly in that it should read a PHY ID register in several
palces. It seems that there is no easy way to avoid the reading until
we have PHY model/revision numbers in mii softc.

If you are one of users that use stge(4), sk(4), msk(4) and nfe(4)
please test and report any strange things not observed on stock
version.

Note for nfe(4) users:
 It seems that nfe(4) has bugs that it can't send packets on
 half-duplex media(I've got "tx v1 error 0x6004"). I guess this comes
 from mismatches between PHY and MAC. So you may have to set
 full-duplex on nfe(4) until we have a fix for the issue.

You can get the latest e1000phy(4) driver from the following URL.
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/msk/e1000phy.c
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/msk/e1000phyreg.h
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/msk/miidevs

OR get a jumbo patch for CURRENT.