Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 18:33:49 +0100
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        Steve Doty <sdoty@jaxx.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Server and Windows Clients

Steve Doty wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >I have been trying over the past month to set up the FreeBSD box to
> >provide networking facilities to a number of PCs running Windows 95/98.
> >I have lots of 'bits' working but have yet to achieve a fully usable
> >system. The aims are modest:
> >
> >*   Set up a unix server to drive the local Windows network, allow
> >    file transfers, print sharing, etc, possibly even backups if
> >    I can find a suitable application.
> >*   Provide a intranet to provide a local test-bed for clients' web
> >    pages, run cgi scripts, etc, without having to upload to the ISP
> >    to do this.
> >*   Gateway to the Internet for the unix and win boxes.
> >
> >I have about 80% of each aspect working OK but am running into problems.
> >I configure one bit, but this then impacts on other areas and I'm
> >beginning to chase my own tail. I think I need a perspective on which
> >bits to include, which ones to ignore and how to get everything working
> >as a coherent design.
> >
> >If anyone has succesfully configured a similar system would you mind
> >letting me know how you did it, which processes you run and how you
> >glued the whole thing together?
> >
> >Here's what I have so far:
> >        Private network using 192.168.xxx.xxx - no problems
> >        Graphics with kde desktop - configured OK
> >        SAMBA    - working extremely well
> >        Sharity Light to mount dos shares - happy with this too
> >        DNS      - no reported errors but still problems with IP-assigned
> >                   addresses. Still not sure about best TTL values,
> >though.
> The default ttl's should work fine..

OK, I have the defaults for db.cache and db127.0.0, but for the local
domain (where the locally-configured ip addresses are not going to
change), I increased this to 7 days. Ditto for reverse lookup on local
domain. See later comments about the cache...

> >        Modem    - working well with good connection speeds
> >       User-ppp - OK but DNS lookups still cause unexpected dial-outs
> >                   (have disabled -auto mode temporarily)
>
> If you type netstat -r and it hangs or has to dialout you need to add any of
> the hosts listed in the netstat -r in your local
> /etc/hosts. This will stop the machine from trying to resolve the ips from
> the outside network,

Whoa!!! Yup, it hangs. When I allow a dialout I get loads of stuff. It
looks as though most of this must be coming from the cache. My local
stuff is quite simple...
192.168.120.1	- for the FreeBSD box
192.168.120.101 - for the first wins machine
192.168.120.102 - for the 2nd wins machine
etc
192.168.120.100 - aliased to pn0 with netmask 255.255.255.255 for the
apache stuff

But what I get from netstat -r is:

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway              Flags     Refs    Use   Netif
Expire
default            192.168.53.103       UGSc      8         0   tun0
10.0.0.2           10.0.0.1             UH        0         0   tun0
localhost          localhost            UH        0       137   lo0
192.168.53.103     212.56.119.211       UH        9         0   tun0
192.168.53.108     212.56.120.151       UH        0         0   tun0
192.168.53.109     212.56.110.107       UH        0         0   tun0
192.168.53.110     212.56.111.6         UH        0         0   tun0
192.168.120        link#1               UC        0         0   pn0
sparky             0:a0:cc:54:id:7      UHLW      1      3449   lo0
192.168.120.100/32 link#1               UC        0         0   pn0
ians               0:a0:cc:54:2c:91     UHLW      1       360   pn0
192.168.120.255    ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff    UHLWb     2      1214   pn0
195.166.129.21     212.56.122.89        UH        0         0   tun0
195.166.129.22     212.56.123.227       UH        0         0   tun0
195.166.129.25     212.56.102.91        UH        0         0   tun0
195.166.129.26     212.56.95.64         UH        0         0   tun0
195.166.129.27     A069-07-02.dial.pl   UH        0         0   tun0
255.255.255.255    212.56.123.85        UHb       0         0   tun0

It looks as though much of this stuff arises from the IP-assigned
addresses from using:

    "set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0"

in ppp-conf. Clearly there's something not right, but not sure what.

> >        Sendmail - still trying to access fake 10.0.0.1 address
> What should it be accessing? 10.0.0.1 is the machines ip right?
Never really use sendmail much but noticed that since configuring dns
and ppp that at
2pm sendmail looks for 10.0.0.1 and other IP-assigned addresses with the
consequent dns lookup and dialout. I thought originally this was due to
uselesss MX records in the dns configuration (h2n added them by default,
but they don't apply to the win boxes), so I deleted them - but to no
avail.

> >        Apache 1.3.6 (using name-virtual hosting) - works fine from within
> >                   FreeBSD but wins clients can't yet access
>
> are you using natd for your internal machines? Or do you have them pointing
> to the freebsd box as the gateway?

Ah... No, because I have been working on configuring ppp using the
-alias switch and I didn't think I would need natd because it would only
duplicate the effects of -alias. However, since the local intranet
doesn't use the dial out connection (or shouldn't), perhaps I do need
nat. Dunno, getting confused again...

> >        Firewall - I guess I need one - especially with the wins shares
> >                   visible on the Unix box, but the thought of setting
> >                   one up terrifies me.
> Its not hard just need to compile FIREWALL into the kernel and then setup
> your /etc/rc.firewall. Just make sure your working from the console of the
> machine. (don't want to get blocked out of your own machine)

OK, I'm going to leave firewalls until I get the rest sorted. But given
my configuration would you think that a firewall is [nice, but not
strictly necessary|desirable|essential]?

> >        E-mail   - use Netscape to fetch own account from ISP POP server,
> >                   but not sure how this will work across the gateway
> >for
> >                   the wins clients.
> Again this will require using 2 ethernet cards and natd. Wish I could tell
> you more about natd but I don't have to use it.

OK. I'll get the natd issue sorted first, then look at this again. I
need to take it a bit at a time.

> >If you can provide any useful pointers, suggestions, inspiration or
> >examples of how you did it I shall be eternally grateful. If anyone can
> >tell me which bits of the software I definately don't need, this will be
> >useful too.
>
> >Many thanks for your help in the past,
> >Ric

Steve, thanks for replying. Does any of this info help track down what's
going wrong?

Kind regards,
Ric